Community Health awareness program
This project has been implementing in collaboration with Save the children (Bal Rakha Bharat) in Delhi Slums for last couple of years. The objective of this program is to sensitize community about the health matter and bring them forward to use govt. facility in their nearby area. The primary target groups of this project are pregnant women, lactating mothers and children under 5 years of age. The project’s strategy includes catalyzing community level actions for sensitizing people about the importance of health especially maternal, child health, nutrition and sanitation services and behaviours & meeting the resultant demand for services in the select slum communities of Delhi, by providing services through Govt. health facilities.
Various activities components of the Project are:-
- To provide ante natal and post natal care to women with essential new born care.
- To conduct periodic medical examination of all children under 5 years of age with immunization services against six major preventable childhood vaccine preventable diseases (Tuberculosis, Polio, Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus and Measles)
- Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) Counselling with Diagnosis and Treatment of Reproductive Tract Infections/Sexually Transmitted Infections.
- To conduct monthly Growth monitoring and promotion (GMP) sessions for all children under age 2 for timely detection of the cases of under nutrition among children.
- To conduct IEC activities on health, nutrition, water and environmental sanitation and promoting institutional deliveries along with BCC Activities like ensure promotion of health seeking behaviour and healthy behaviour practices
- Refresher Orientation of Youth group leaders & adolescent girls on life cycle approach with special focus on early marriage and pregnancy
- De-worming of all children over 1 years of age and surveillance of common childhood Vaccine Preventable Diseases (VPDs) with the support of Delhi Health Department and establish referral linkages with all Sub centres, PHCs, CHCs, ICTC and DOTS centres public and private hospitals.
- Water testing of drinking water sources.
- COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES :
Awareness Generation in the community with help of AV shows, street plays, health awareness camps etc.
- Motivating local people to raise the demands with concerned authorities to improve quality of health services, upgrade health institutions and open new institutions as per the norms and requirements
- Strengthening the existing community institutions & work for developing sense of ownership, belongingness and accountability among the community and other stakeholders
- Community participation will also be ensured in implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the project activities.
- Formation of cohesive community action groups (CCAG) & Slum Health and Sanitation Team (SHAST) along with the identification of community Nodal Point Persons.
- Training of CCAG, SHAST and women groups on basics of health, nutrition, hygiene and sanitation
- Trainings to Community Volunteers on basic concepts of safe motherhood, infant care and home based care for Pneumonia, Diarrhoea, Malaria and Dengue etc.
- To conduct regular meetings and interaction with Community Volunteers to supplement their knowledge.
- To organize community events & specific days like World Health Day, World HIV/AIDS Day, Breast Feeding week etc.